Over the past few weeks we’ve discussed the use of animal products in fashion: feathers, fur, leather, and all things exotic. Fortunately for consumers today there are all sorts of great alternatives that are both good for the earth and easy on your wallet.
So what makes an item eco-fashionable? Our fashion-savvy friend over at Fair Vanity explains the 7 elements of Fair Style: “When you see something you covet, you can rest assured that the item/designer incorporates one or more of the following Fair Elements of Style:
Made in the USA
Eco-Fashion World also adds these 3 other Fair Elements of Style:
or Custom Made
Eco-Style is on trend and turning heads; not only are there tons of designers, blogs, and stores where you can pick up the latest find, but they are making waves at fashion events all around the world. In February of this year, The GreenShows presented at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at Lincoln Center, and presented eight ready-to-wear designers and nine accessories designers that showed off sustainable gowns and vegan shoes.
But enough talking, let’s get to the good stuff! Here’s were we need your help – though we’ve listed a couple of great blogs and websites below to find sustainable eco-fabulous clothing and accessories, by all means this list is nowhere complete! Let us know where you love to shop for vegan shoes and fair trade clothing and we’ll add it to the list! Check back here often, because this list will continue to grow as we add more and more faboulous eco-friendly finds:
- Ecofabulous: Highlights the latest green clothes, shoes, home goods and jewlery available.
- The GreenShows
- Etsy: My fashion place to find custom, hand-made goods from local artists.
- MooShoes: My very first pair of vegan shoes. Love at first sight!
- List of Cruelty Free Clothing from PETA
- List of Fur Free Retailers
- List of Fur Free Retailers from the Humane Society
- Olsen Haus: Rarevant, thanks for the hot tip on these vegan, beautiful, on-trend shoes!
- CapFABB: a blog roll that highlights all sorts of local awesome fashion designers.
- Fair Vanity: My favorite blog for eco-clothing
- Treehugger’s Sustainable Fashion Blog: a collection of newsworthy fashion tips from Treehugger. Sometimes sexy, sometimes sassy, sometimes just plain silly.
Let us know where you like to shop and we’ll add it to the list!